The fact that racism is a big problem will most likely not come as a surprise to many people. Yet, there are people who are just now seeing racism as a “big problem” in the United States. According to a Pew research center poll, 58% now see racism as a big problem in the United States. What about the other 42%? These are the people who either think racism is somewhat a problem, small problem, or not a problem at all. This is most likely due to the fact that people believe that they do not have biases towards minorities when they do. This is referred to as aversive racism.
Racism comes in many forms and sometimes these types are unconscious. This is problematic because implicit bias is harder to identify and address than explicit bias. The fact that women of color make less than average (much less then white males) does not upset people as much as when they see violence happening against people of color. According to market watch, forty percent of women of color report feeling uncomfortable in the workplace. People are much more willing to ignore more subtle forms of racism then overt forms of racism.
As more explicit racism has been happening such as, shooting directed towards minority groups, increase in police brutality, presidential statements, Charlottesville, etc. it’s harder for people to ignore and deny that racial discrimination is a big problem. When Barack Obama was president many people thought that race relations deteriorated because of the election of the first black president. Did racism just disappear? No, it did not. So why is there an increase in labeling it as a big problem? Americans were less likely to believe that our country has racism problems. Those who continue to hold colorblindness as a solution and those who are implicitly racist continue to believe that the world is a just place. The more modern form of racism is when people hold more implicit bias and that is why people have a hard time confronting racism. The 2016 campaign was important to remind the country that having a black president does not solve our countries racial problem. Although there has been an increase in belief that racism is a big problem these ideologies have been imbedded in our country the whole time. Yes, racism is a big problem but this is not new news. How do we address racism that happens without it being conscious to the person?